Glossary of Library & Information Science
ABOUT THE GLOSSARY
Glossary of Library & Information Science is an encyclopedic glossary and dictionary of terms and acronyms of librarianship, library science, information science, and information technology. The terms of the glossary are given an encyclopedic treatment, they are more exhaustive than a typical glossary or dictionary entry but less than an article. This is authored by Salman Haider for the librarians all across the globe and the users of Librarianship Studies & Information Technology and Resource Description and Access (RDA) blogs. Glossary of Library and Information Science is presently under development. Individual entries in the glossary will appear as a blog post in the Librarianship Studies & Information Technology blog. Glossary entries will be revised from time to time, as required, to present the most up-to-date information on the subject. The glossary will include everything from traditional library terms to a vocabulary of modern avenues in information science and technology. Glossary entries will also include useful links to a further advanced study on the LIS topics. When completed the Glossary of Library and Information Science will become an essential part of every library’s and librarian’s reference collection and will also be helpful to librarians, LIS i-School Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) & Ph.D. students, researchers, and IT professionals.
All librarians and information professionals may use information from Glossary of Library and Information Science for their writings and research, with proper attribution and citation. I would appreciate it if you would let me know, too!
GLOSSARY OF LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE
- Access Point
- Authority Control
- Authority Record
- Core Elements (RDA)
- Date of Publication
- Descriptive Cataloging
- Extended Date Time Format
- ISO 8601
- Library Circulation
- Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mangla, P. B.
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS)
- Name of Publisher
- Other Title Information
- Place of Publication
- RDA Alternatives
- RDA Exceptions
- RDA Options
- Resource Access
- Resource Description
- Subject Cataloging
- Subject Heading
- Subject Heading List
- Subject Headings Manual
- Title Proper
— Lyndelle Gunton (@lyndelleg) May 18, 2015
Jennifer Closson [2015-05] -- Very useful for those still in graduate school, thanks!
Kamlesh Vyas -- Sir: Really nice and very useful resource.
LINKS & REFERENCE IN WEBSITES BLOGS ETC.
Universities / Colleges / Library Science & I-Schools / Libraries
- BAsel Register of Thesauri, Ontologies & Classifications : A multilingual, interdisciplinary database for Knowledge Organization Systems [University of Basel, Switzerland]
- University of Salamanca [Salamanca, Spain]
- Institut de l'information scientifique et technique (English: Institute of Scientific and Technical Information) [French National Centre for Scientific Research, France]
- MERLOT - the Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning Online and Teaching [MERLOT is a program of the California State University System partnering with education institutions, professional societies, and industry]
- PCC LIST
- And many other online mailing lists, groups, forums, and communities.
- For complete list see: Librarianship Studies Testimonials
- Salman Haider - Librarian, Cataloger, Blogger
- Last Updated: 2016-08-30
- Written: 2015-04-26